Areas Served

Comcare claims – Commonwealth compensation

What is Commonwealth compensation?

Are you an injured Commonwealth employee? Was your illness or injury sustained at work? We can manage your Comcare claim, wherever you are in Australia.

We advise Commonwealth employees all around Australia, where the injury or illness incurred at their work.

We have assisted many workers employed by Commonwealth organisations such as The Australian Taxation Office, Centrelink, Medicare, Australia Post, the Department of Defence, Australian Customs, Bureau of Meteorology, National Australia Bank, the NDIS and various transport companies.

Experienced Comcare lawyers

We have more than 25 years’ experience in advising and making compensation claims, usually through Comcare, for Commonwealth employees who have been injured at work. Our specialist team will always put you first, providing you with advice that is in your best interests.

TGB’s Comcare Claims – Commonwealth Compensation team is led by Partner Tim White, who has more than 25 years’ experience managing compensation claims in this area, the majority of which are Comcare claims.

Comcare claims

Obtaining professional, experienced and specialised advice from the outset will give you the best chance of your Commonwealth injury compensation claim being successful. The vast majority of our matters resolve via conciliation – we avoid going to trial wherever possible, to save you cost and delay. But our track record when a matter does go to trial is excellent – we fight hard for our clients’ rights.

If you have already lodged a claim with Comcare or another insurer and are not happy with the outcome, we may be able to assist you to appeal the decision. If you successfully appeal, most or all of your legal costs are paid by the insurer.

Medical evidence is vital to the success of these Comcare commonwealth injury claims, and often highly specialised medical evidence is needed. We have an established network of doctors around Australia who can provide expert comment on your work related injuries.

We have a detailed understanding of the Comcare claims process so can guide you through every step of the way, and give you a good understanding of what to expect.

What can an injured or ill Commonwealth Employee claim compensation for?

  • Lost wages (ie base wage, allowances, penalty payments etc.)
  • Medical expenses (ie medication, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, surgery costs, consultations with doctors, rehabilitation costs, etc)
  • Lump sum payment for permanent disability (which is currently not taxed)
  • Household assistance costs
  • Rehabilitation costs (eg re-training – university/TAFE courses, computer training etc. – associated costs with working towards alternative work opportunities)
  • Lump sum payment for dependent spouse

Your injury could be deemed as occurring at work if:

  • During lunch or other authorised breaks
  • Whilst travelling to or from work
  • At an approved work function (even on a weekend or outside “normal working hours”)
  • Whilst travelling to a work function or an approved work activity
  • Whilst participating in an approved sporting activity
  • During a work training session
  • When travelling to and/or from medical treatment for a work injury

What type of injuries or illnesses are covered under Comcare claims?

Numerous types of injuries and illnesses are covered including physical injuries to your:

  • neck,
  • back,
  • arms,
  • legs,
  • teeth,
  • jaw,
  • head, etc.

You are also covered for numerous diseases and medical conditions including:

Is there a time limit to make a Comcare claim?

The applicable legislation is complex and strict time limits apply. If you do not comply with the time limits your entitlements may be adversely affected. We will provide you with advice that is in your best interests.

Am I entitled to a lump sum payment under Comcare?

If you sustain a permanent disability as a result of a work injury you may be entitled to a lump sum payment. Assessing a lump sum payment can be complicated. It is usually only paid once, so it is therefore important to seek legal advice about this claim. It is also a payment that is not taxed. Lump sum payments for permanent impairment can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What might a Comcare claim cost me?

In many cases, we are able to recover most or all of your legal costs from the DVA (Comcare). This limits what you then have to pay us. We can assist further by delaying your fees until any settlement is achieved. Before undertaking any work, we will send you a detailed letter setting our how we charge so you are completely informed. We are transparent about all things relating to your case, but especially costs.

Disputing a claim at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)

We have significant experience advising injured Commonwealth Employees and their families (when necessary) in appeals to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) to dispute decisions made by other compensating authorities. This can be a complex process and often involves technical legal points. Accordingly, it is important to seek advice from a lawyer who specialises in Commonwealth compensation and Comcare claims.

Tindall Gask Bentley regularly represents injured Commonwealth employees at the AAT and has been doing so for more than 25 years.

TGB’s experienced Commonwealth compensation team has settled an extensive number of Comcare claims and has run numerous cases to trial when necessary.

If you need help taking a dispute to the AAT, call TGB partner Tim White on 1800 730 842. We advise Commonwealth employees across Australia on Comcare claims and their entitlements to Commonwealth compensation if they are injured or become ill during the course of their work.

No matter where you live in Australia, our team of Commonwealth injury lawyers can help you with your Comcare compensation claim.

Call TGB Lawyers on 1800 730 842 today!