Morry Bailes personifies many of the qualities that set Tindall Gask Bentley apart from other law firms. As Managing Partner, he has been an inspirational force in maintaining and building upon the enviable company culture handed down by TGB’s founders.
Hand in glove with his management role as TGB’s forward-thinking strategist, Morry retains a passion for practising the Law that he has held since the start of his career.
Morry enjoys helping clients to navigate through pieces of litigation which,to them, may at first seem daunting.
His rapport with Associations representing particular workplace groups has seen him establish a specialty practice. He has served as Principal Advisor to such organisations as the Police Association, Correctional Officers’ Legal Fund, and the South Australian State School Leaders Association, advocating for members in criminal and disciplinary matters. He has also advised Associations on their own constitutional and business affairs.
In workplace matters, Morry is renowned for his balanced view of the world, a quality which has prompted both employees and employers to seek out his knowledge.
As Managing Partner, he has overseen the firm’s significant expansion, which now takes in ten offices across SA, WA and the NT. He has also set a different kind of legal precedent – construction of an innovative building at 76 Light Square with high environmental ratings, to serve as TGB’s new home.
Morry’s achievements and influence also extend beyond TGB. He is currently President-Elect of the Law Council of Australia and Chair of Lawguard Management. He was President of the Law Society of SA from October 2013 to December 2014, and was the recipient of the Law Society’s Brian Withers Award for service to the South Australian legal profession in 2013.
- Bachelor of Law, University of Adelaide
- Graduate Certificate in Legal Practice
- Admitted to practice 1987
My Areas of Expertise
- Associations Law
- Industrial and Employment Law
- Criminal and Disciplinary
- Coronial Inquests and Royal Commissions
My Professional Interests
- President-Elect, Law Council of Australia Limited
- Chair, Lawguard Management Pty Ltd
- Immediate Past President, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the Council, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the Executive, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the ACICA Appointment Advisory Board
- Member of the Ethics and Practice Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the International Legal Practice Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the GDLP Committee, Law Society of South Australia and University of Adelaide
- Chair, Joint CTP Executive (Law Society of SA, Australian Lawyers Alliance and SA Bar Association)
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member of the Australia China Business Council
- Principal Legal Advisor, Police Association of South Australia
- Legal Advisor, Western Australian Police Union
- Legal Advisor, Northern Territory Police Association
- Principal Legal Advisor, Correctional Officers’ Legal Fund
- Principal Legal Advisor, South Australian State School Leaders Association
- Principal Legal Advisor, Nunkuwarrin Yunti
- Principal Legal Advisor, Aboriginal Sobriety Group
- Principal Legal Advisor, CFS Volunteers Association
- Brian Withers Award winner, 2013
- Columnist, InDaily (indaily.com.au)
Media & Blog Posts
InDaily: The changing face of our legal profession
Diversity, technology and the pressure to do ‘more for less’ are resulting in rapid changes in the Australian legal profession. So is it a good thing? TGB managing partner Morry Bailes reflects on changes in the industry in his latest column for InDaily. Read the full column here.Read more
InDaily: iRobot - artificial intelligence is here, so how does the legal practice adapt?
The artificial intelligence revolution is gathering pace and no part of legal practice will be left untouched, writes TGB managing partner Morry Bailes in his regular column for InDaily. Read the full column here.Read more