Cycling Injury Compensation

Motor Vehicle Accident Claims, NT: Part 1 – The Basics

Part 1 in a series of blogs that specifically address Motor Vehicle Accident Claims in the Northern Territory.

Part 1 in a series of blogs that specifically address Motor Vehicle Accident Claims in the Northern Territory.

Motor Vehicle Accident claims can often be complex due to the variety of claims that are available. Having a lawyer to run the entire process will ensure that you are making the right claim and that you will achieve the best possible outcome, reducing your stress levels in the process.

There are a number of specific requirements and considerations for Motor Vehicle Accident Claims in the Northern Territory and it is important to have a good understanding of the criteria for a claim before deciding to pursue your entitlements.

The basics:

All motor vehicle accident claims are managed under a compensation scheme entitled the Motor Accidents Compensation Act (MAC).

The MAC scheme is administered by TIO on behalf of the Northern Territory government and paid for by Northern Territory motorists via vehicle registration payments.

Who can make a claim?

Any individual who has been involved in a motor vehicle accident in the Northern Territory and who has sustained an injury, may be entitled to claim compensation. This means that drivers, passengers, motorcyclists, cyclists and even pedestrians that are injured by registered vehicles will be covered by the MAC scheme.

What if I am at fault?

The MAC scheme is a no fault system which means that you may still receive some benefits even if you have caused the accident. This is partly why it is essential to talk to a lawyer before dismissing your potential to claim.

Exclusions may apply to drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs, committing an offence at the time of the accident, being unlicensed or if the person is entitled to a workers compensation claim (given the specific circumstances of the accident). You may also have a reduction to your claim if you were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.

What will my claim entitle me to?

There are a number of benefits you may be able to claim, should you satisfy the relevant criteria.

– Medical and rehabilitation expenses

– Pharmaceutical expenses

– Attendant care services

– Loss of earning capacity benefits

– Permanent impairment benefits

– Death and dependency benefits

The MAC scheme is aligned with the National Injury Insurance Scheme (NIIS) standards for severe injury.

How much time do I have to make a claim?

Ideally your claim should be lodged within 6 months of the motor vehicle accident. If you are unable to make your claim within 6 months you will be required to provide written reasons as to why this was not possible. Your claim will NOT be accepted if it is not made within 3 years of the motor vehicle accident.

Given the complexity of motor vehicle accident claims, the time limits and the ability to claim even when you may have been at fault for an accident, it is essential that you make contact with a motor vehicle accident injury lawyer if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident.  Your lawyer will enable you to assess your potential for a claim, inform you as to what the next step should be and maximise any potential claim you may have.

Part 2 – Permanent Impairment Claims

Part 3 – Loss of Earning Capacity Payments

Part 4 – Disputing a Decision

Contact us for a free initial interview about your claim.