Get in touch with Richard
Whether it’s a criminal, disciplinary, industrial or an injury issue, Richard Yates has the experience to navigate his clients through complex matters and get the problem sorted as quickly as possible.
Richard has a particular interest on issues arising or impacting on people’s employment. One legal problem at work can touch multiple areas of law and have a broad affect on a person’s employment and personal life. As a well-rounded workplace lawyer, Richard has the diverse skills required for the most complex employment law issues.
In a crisis such as unfair dismissal, discrimination, a criminal allegation or debilitating injury, Richard understands the potential implications for a person’s livelihood and endeavours to keep the process moving quickly.
He is a reliable guide through the stress and emotion, offering clear advice about the best way forward.
Richard’s skills are sought by a number of leading Associations, where he provides industrial advice and legal support for their members.
He applies his particular expertise in Police and professional disciplinary and workers compensation matters across multiple jurisdictions, for the Western Australian Police Union and the Police Association of South Australia.
Richard’s knowledge also extends to the education sector where he has worked with members of the South Australian State School Leaders Association.
An affinity for people and a desire to help them through their struggles extends beyond Richard’s clients to the community, where he has a particular passion for youth issues. Richard is a former mentor for upcoming law students at the University of South Australia and formerly headed the South Australian operations for The Pinnacle Foundation.
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Public Health), University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours, University of Adelaide
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Admitted to practice 2006
My Areas of Expertise
- Criminal and Disciplinary
- Industrial and Employment Law
- Workplace Issues and Unfair Dismissals
- Criminal injuries Compensation
- Motor Vehicle Accident Injury
- Public Liability Injury
- Media, Communications and Online law
- Member of Golden Key Honour Society
- Former Chair – SA Regional Committee, the Pinnacle Foundation
- Member of the Law Society of Western Australia
- Member of the Law Society of South Australia
- Mentor, Business Career Mentoring Program, University of South Australia
Media & Blog Posts
New Changes to the Public Sector Code of Conduct
Richard Yates outlines the changes in the basic standards to be observed by those in the public service, as they have been written in the new Public Sector Code of Conduct. Any breach of this code can give rise to a liability to disciplinary action.Read more
Intervention Orders: What are they and how do they work?
The TGB Criminal Law Team discusses the intricacies of Intervention Orders and the ways in which they can be challenged or removed with the assistance of a lawyer.Read more