Get in touch with Morry
Morry Bailes personifies many of the qualities that set Tindall Gask Bentley apart from other law firms. As Managing Partner, he has been an inspirational force in maintaining and building upon the enviable company culture handed down by TGB’s founders.
Hand in glove with his management role as TGB’s forward-thinking strategist, Morry retains a passion for practising the Law that he has held since the start of his career.
Morry enjoys helping clients to navigate through pieces of litigation which,to them, may at first seem daunting.
His rapport with Associations representing particular workplace groups has seen him establish a specialty practice. He has served as Principal Advisor to such organisations as the Police Association, Correctional Officers’ Legal Fund, and the South Australian State School Leaders Association, advocating for members in criminal and disciplinary matters. He has also advised Associations on their own constitutional and business affairs.
In workplace matters, Morry is renowned for his balanced view of the world, a quality which has prompted both employees and employers to seek out his knowledge.
As Managing Partner, he has overseen the firm’s significant expansion, which now takes in ten offices across SA, WA and the NT. He has also set a different kind of legal precedent – construction of an innovative building at 76 Light Square with high environmental ratings, to serve as TGB’s new home.
Morry’s achievements and influence also extend beyond TGB. He is currently President-Elect of the Law Council of Australia and Chair of Lawguard Management. He was President of the Law Society of SA from October 2013 to December 2014, and was the recipient of the Law Society’s Brian Withers Award for service to the South Australian legal profession in 2013.
- Bachelor of Law, University of Adelaide
- Graduate Certificate in Legal Practice
- Admitted to practice 1987
My Areas of Expertise
- Associations Law
- Industrial and Employment Law
- Criminal and Disciplinary
- Coronial Inquests and Royal Commissions
My Professional Interests
- President-Elect, Law Council of Australia Limited
- LCA Futures Committee
- Chair, Lawguard Management Pty Ltd
- Past President, Law Society of South Australia (2013-14)
- Previous Member of the Council, Law Society of South Australia
- Previous Member of the Executive, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the ACICA Appointment Advisory Board
- Member of the Ethics and Practice Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the International Legal Practice Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the GDLP Committee, Law Society of South Australia and University of Adelaide
- Chair, Corporate Governance Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member, Risk Management Advisory Group, Law Society of South Australia
- Chair, CTP Executive (Law Society of SA, Australian Lawyers Alliance and SA Bar Association)
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member of the Australia China Business Council
- Principal Legal Advisor, Police Association of South Australia
- Legal Advisor, Western Australian Police Union
- Legal Advisor, Northern Territory Police Association
- Principal Legal Advisor, Correctional Officers’ Legal Fund
- Principal Legal Advisor, South Australian State School Leaders Association
- Principal Legal Advisor, Nunkuwarrin Yunti
- Principal Legal Advisor, Aboriginal Sobriety Group
- Principal Legal Advisor, CFS Volunteers Association
- Brian Withers Award winner, 2013
- Columnist, InDaily (indaily.com.au)
Media & Blog Posts
InDaily: Millions of Australians frozen out of the justice system
An estimated seven million Australians struggle to access legal advice, simply because of where they live, writes TGB managing partner Morry Bailes in his latest column for InDaily. Read it here.Read more
Radio 5AA: Bullying, teen suicide and liability
13-year-old Adelaide schoolgirl Libby Bell was bullied so relentlessly she took her own life. Now her heartbroken family and the greater public cries out for justice. But who is liable under these circumstances? The bullies? The school? Or the Department of Education? TGB managing partner Morry Bailes spoke with 5AA’s...Read more
InDaily: Why mandatory sentencing is stupid and unjust
Mandatory sentencing is popular but it represents much of what is wrong with our justice system, argues TGB managing partner Morry Bailes in his regular column for InDaily. Read the full column here.Read more
InDaily: When it comes to justice, popularity is irrelevant
As the nation debates two significant issues that impact both government and the fabric of our society, TGB managing partner Morry Bailes reminds us that the opinion polls and the media’s war of words mean very little when justice is at stake. Read his latest column for InDaily here.Read more
Organ donation: The greatest gift you could ever offer
Two years ago the health and life of TGB managing partner Morry Bailes was transformed by a kidney transplant from his wife, Melanie. In his latest column for InDaily, Morry makes a plea for more South Australians to consider organ donation and give what is truly the gift of life. Read the full column here. For more information...Read more