Get in touch with Giles
Giles Kahl has a breadth and depth of knowledge drawn from 35 years of experience advising SMEs and individuals on commercial, property and estate matters.
Corporate and Commercial
For many years Giles has assisted clients with commercial transactions. His work has involved negotiating, advising on and preparing a broad range of commercial agreements. Some of his projects include:
– Preparing standard franchise documents for a prominent Adelaide real estate agency.
– Preparing a complex contract for multi-million dollar sale of an Adelaide drinking water equipment business (involving acquisition by vendor of shares in purchasing company and acting for vendor taking transaction to settlement).
– Advising in relation to proposed sale of a multi-million dollar Adelaide marine equipment business and the long term employment of one of the vendor’s directors by the purchaser.
– Acting for vendors in selling all shares in substantial audiology company and the long term employment of vendors by purchaser.
– Advising on enforceability of proposed and existing clauses in restraint of trade in various contexts.
– Advising on, drafting documents for, and completing settlement in a variety of business sales and purchases.
Giles has broad cross practice experience in:
– Finance and security documentation.
– All aspects of Lands Titles Office practice.
– Tax implications of financial transactions, including GST.
– Residential and commercial property transactions including contract preparation, conveyancing and leasing.
General Civil Litigation
Recent experience includes acting for:
– A subcontractor pursuing a multi-million dollar claim against its head contractor relating to a government infrastructure project;
– An accounting firm in recovering their fees from a client who alleged that the accountants had been negligent and and that the negligence had triggered a tax audit;
– A home owner sued for allowing storm water to run onto and damage a neighbour’s tennis court;
– A client sued by a family member for the alleged non-payment of a debt.
Many of the commercial transactions Giles is involved in also involve property.
For example he regularly:
– Advises clients in relation to proposed land sales and purchases and other property and asset transfers (particularly with reference to stamp duty and GST).
– Prepares commercial leases.
– Advises prospective and current lessees on their legal rights and obligations.
– Advises prospective purchasers of residential and commercial properties about their rights, including the waiver of cooling off rights.
Giles has a number of long standing clients. As a trusted and often long term advisor Giles is regularly called on to provide estate planning advice to his clients.
He administers deceased estates, including preparing both standard and complex applications for probate and letters of administration.
He acts for clients in estate disputes including Inheritance (Family Provision) Act claims.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Adelaide
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Notary Public
- Admitted to practice 1980
My Areas of Expertise
- Corporate & Commercial Transactions and Documents
- Real Estate and Property
- Commercial Leasing
- Dispute Resolution & Litigation Services
- Deceased Estates
- State Taxation
My Professional Interests
- Deputy Chairperson, Property Committee, Law Society of South Australia
Media & Blog Posts
Think carefully before you decide not to serve a disclosure statement on renewal of a commercial leaseRead more
It is surprising how frequently we see people after they sign contracts, when something goes wrong and they signed without understanding what they were agreeing to. There are two reasons to have a contract reviewed by a lawyer before you sign 1. To make sure that the contract says what you think it says, and does not say...Read more