If You Have Had Property Damage

Call us on (08) 8212 1077 (South Australia), (08) 9211 5800 (Western Australia), (08) 8941 7814 (Northern Territory), 1800 730 842 (Queensland) or register online here.

If you own property (for example, a car) which has been damaged through the negligence of another person, you may have an entitlement to compensation.

What circumstances are required for a claim?

You may have a claim if the property was damaged as a result of the negligence of another person. If your property is insured, it is the insurance company that may have the right to make a claim against the negligent person.

What will we do if you have a claim?

If you have a claim then we will handle all negotiations with the other party (or their insurance company). We will get reports from experts to assess the amount of loss that you have suffered. Throughout your claim we will liase with you, the other party and any experts to gather enough information to accurately assess your loss.

How long will your claim take?

Your claim cannot be finalised until the loss that you have suffered can be determined. It is then quite common for negotiations to occur between the parties to attempt to avoid the need to go to court, and this can add time to your claim.

When should you seek legal advice?

If the matter is going to proceed to court, the time by when the matter must be filed with the court depends upon the circumstances. We therefore recommend that you seek advice as soon as possible after the damage to your property occurs.